I was so excited when I took a huge bite of this sandwich because not only is it healthy, but it's also delicious!! The cilantro mixed with the cumin adds something so amazing and perfect for these sloppy joes. If you haven't caught on yet, I am pretty much obsessed with anything that has cilantro and/or cumin.
I have been looking for meals that I can prepare now and freeze to be eaten when Ben and I are changing diapers/feeding/never sleeping in a week or two (ahhh!!). Now that I know how yummmmy these sloppy joes are, I am definitely going to prepare a batch of this meat and put a bag of hamburger buns in the freezer so they're ready to go! The cool juicy watermelon feta salad is perfect for a hot sunny day--especially if you are 37 1/2 weeks pregnant!
What are some of your favorite meals to make ahead and freeze?
Cilantro Turkey Sloppy Joes with Watermelon Feta Salad
Recipe adapted from the Fresh20
- 1 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrots, peeled and shredded (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1.5 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cilantro, chopped
- 1.5 teaspoons honey or pure maple syrup
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- 1/2 head green leaf lettuce, shredded
- 1/2 3-4 pound watermelon cut into 2inch cubes
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 6-8 leaves fresh basil, shredded
- 1 pound lean ground turkey (can substitute beef)
- Heat an extra large sauté pan over medium-high heat; once hot, add in oil, onion, and carrots. Saute vegetables until translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add in ground turkey, garlic, oregano, cumin, and salt & pepper. Saute over medium-high heat until meat is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together tomato paste and water until combined.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add tomato paste/water mixture to pan, stir to combine. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro and honey (or maple syrup) and toast buns in the toaster.
- Fill each sandwich bun with meat and a handful of shredded lettuce.
For watermelon feta salad:
- Toss watermelon cubes with feta and basil. Serve cold.
Makes 3-4 servings.